24.8 C
Munich
Thursday, August 20, 2026

Humanitarian workers face rising threats as South Sudan aid needs deepen

Must read

Wednesday, 19 August 2026 |Joseph Oduha | South Sudan | File Photo |

At least 36 humanitarian workers and contractors have been killed in South Sudan since the beginning of the year, surpassing the total killed in all of 2025, as renewed violence and worsening insecurity threaten efforts to deliver aid to millions of people, humanitarian agencies said Wednesday.

The deaths, most of them South Sudanese nationals, highlight the growing risks faced by aid workers operating in some of the country’s most conflict-affected areas.

More than 450 incidents of violence against humanitarian workers and aid assets were reported between January and July, more than twice the number recorded during the same period last year, according to humanitarian agencies.

“Every killing must be investigated, and those responsible held accountable,” the agencies said in a statement marking World Humanitarian Day. “The continued loss of humanitarian personnel, overwhelmingly South Sudanese nationals, is unacceptable.”

The security situation has also forced some humanitarian organizations to relocate from areas where fighting has intensified, restricting access to communities already struggling with hunger, disease and the effects of climate shocks.

About 10 million people — nearly two-thirds of South Sudan’s population — are expected to need humanitarian assistance this year. More than 7.5 million are facing high levels of acute food insecurity, according to the humanitarian response.

Despite the deteriorating conditions, aid organizations reached 2.6 million people between January and June, out of 4.3 million targeted for assistance.

But humanitarian agencies warn that funding shortages could further undermine the response. The country’s Humanitarian Needs and Response Plan is only 35% funded, while food assistance pipelines face possible disruption from October unless additional resources are secured.

For people living in areas affected by conflict, the consequences of disrupted aid can be severe.

Humanitarian organizations say insecurity, restrictions on movement and bureaucratic obstacles are making it increasingly difficult to reach people in need, even as humanitarian needs continue to rise.

Aid agencies are calling on the South Sudanese government and all parties to the country’s peace agreement to protect humanitarian workers, civilians and aid facilities and ensure safe and unhindered access to affected communities.

They also urged authorities to investigate attacks and hold those responsible accountable, stressing that humanitarian access should not be used as a bargaining tool.

“Humanitarian workers and the people they serve must never be targeted,” the agencies said.

As South Sudan marks World Humanitarian Day, aid organizations say protecting humanitarian workers is essential not only for their own safety but also for ensuring that life-saving assistance reaches millions of people who depend on it.

- Advertisement -spot_img

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest article